Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Tree

I stood in the forest and knew
    the strength of my limbs.
I stood in the forest and felt
    the heat of the sun.
I stood in the forest and saw the
    flight of the eagle overhead.
I stood in the forest and heard the
   cicadas sing.

I stood in the forest when morning melted
    into evening.

I stood in the forest grounded in moments of reverence and
  awe.

I stood in the forest as a family of three, man, woman and son
  rested under me..

I stood in the forest and heard them whispering  -- The Tree. 

Soft voices, laughter, murmurings
  and conversations  I did hear.
A family of three took refreshment from me. .

The boy played a game of hide and seek
and at times rested his head on me.

The mother - her being I felt at one with me.
The father smiled approvingly. 

Time passed.

Days and evenings became many.

Months became years.

I stood in the forest growing strong.

Until that terrible day I was cut down
and a cross I was made.

Lifted high up on the hill for all to see.

The mother knew at  once it was me.

Ah  familiar tree, she murmured.

And I felt her being was one with me.
And the father again his approval was with me.

And then - rough men positioned him on to me.

I draped her son tightly to me.
A tighter embrace there could not be.

The woman's child closed his eyes as if to play hide and seek.

Old memories stirred of  the peace and strength of  - The Tree..

Welcome, old friend, He murmured to me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment